Is there more to life than children and family?

More to the horizon than what's for dinner?

Join me as I ponder some personal views on parenting, people relationships, fun and the big wide consumerist world we live in... or... "how to raise nice kids and survive the process".

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wednesday is Gratitude Day:

I've read (and I have a sense of it myself) that remembering and considering the good parts of your life and being grateful for them is a healthy step to being and staying happy!!  SO... Wednesday is Gratitude Day.

Today I am grateful for… (my awareness of) the beauty of trees.


This one is a beauty that I look across at from down the road where I park to wait to pick up my son from the school bus.

Not sure what it is… (one of life’s future challenges is to find out !).

There is a line of gorgeous gums down the road from my parents house, and I want to recreate that beauty at my place.


Another thing I’m grateful for is the serendipitous way I got talking to a man I’ve never met before – about eucalypts! He had extensive knowledge, a passion and enthusiasm that I found contagious, and he’d even read…




















Eucalyptus - by Murray Bail


Following my conversation with the man of trees, I now think my trees are lemon scented gums, although they have a pinkish tinged bark which caused me some confusion initially. I will take a pic and show you when I visit it in a few weeks.


Isn’t it fantastic when you meet some one with whom you share even just a tiny moment of having something intensely in common. And yet you know you can travel many hours and many miles before such a chance meeting will happen again. So I enjoyed our exchange – he even knew about eucalypt deglupta (otherwise known as “rainbow eucalyptus – wonder why?)





and how it is one of the very few eucalypt species that aren’t native to Australia, (I want to try to grow one !!)


and he explained to me the difference between salmon gum and lemon scented gums..

and how the colour of the trunks – although most distracting visually – can be a red herring as to species identification. Fascinating!!


Thank you Peter, for sharing your joy of trees with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment