Is there more to life than children and family?

More to the horizon than what's for dinner?

Join me as I ponder some personal views on parenting, people relationships, fun and the big wide consumerist world we live in... or... "how to raise nice kids and survive the process".

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mother's Day

Last year Mother's Day was a disaster.  Hubby didn't get son organised to go shopping, forgot to remind him in general.  In fact, probably forgot in general.  You see "special days" are a no go for hubby - but a big deal for me!!  This does cause a bit of friction occasionally as I would like to model my attitude for son to follow.  In my line of thinking "special days' are a good natural lead up to family traditions and they give a sense of family and home and safety to children (and to mums & dads!).

So last year, nobody even mentioned "Happy Mother's Day", no gift, no brekky in bed...  By 2pm I was ready to leave home - feeling very under-valued and neglected.  Needless to say, I did express my feelings to family.  Luckily, I found a friend to have coffee with and her Mother's Day was just as bad. We were able to console each other and go home without wanting to kill our partners and children.

But this year, I took it upon myself to remind son, to give hints for son, in the end I basically suggested a low cost gift, gave details and helped him to make it...

And this it it...













             

Isn't it gorgeous... its a voucher system where I hand in one of the "cheques" in exchange for the promise he has made on it. 

He promises to oblige...
























I am really touched by it - even though I did suggest it and give technical support in all aspects... he has come up with some ideas that he knows really mean a lot to me... and in return will really "cost" him something that is important to him....










I feel loved.  I feel valued.  I think it is so cute I don't know if I have the heart to break out one of the "cheques"...  Just want to keep it and look at it every now and then to remind myself how he does love me.

Where did I get said idea in the first place....  from the voucher book he gave me 7 years ago when in Grade 2 (age 7).  That was definitely too cute to use... so I still have it in my bedside table.

No comments:

Post a Comment